Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pokah Profile

I began playing poker in February 2005, I bled hundreds of dollars in cash games before I discovered tournaments existed. With the guidance of the Godfather I read numerous books to improve my tournament play.

By Summer 2005, I was a winning player - albeit only slightly.
By Winter 2005, I was making enough to consider quitting my job.
By Spring 2006 I decided I was good enough to go pro.

- I wasn’t.

I had no idea what it took. I didn’t have the game, and I certainly didn’t have the attitude.

Spring 2006 saw me make my inaugural annual Vegas trip with the Godfather. Partly by osmosis, and largely through Mr Brunson’s Super System I began to piece things together.

By Summer 2006 I was a Grand Prix Champion, I “owned” Pokerroom and I was a very proud Ace of Ace Champion. But I was far from the complete player. The St Andrews Mob was born, the Godfather was proud.

By Winter 2006/2007 I understood what it took to succeed in the game, there was no eureka moment in regard to strategies, it was more a realisation of the commitment needed. Playing a game for a living is a risky business, and if the American Safe Port Act taught us anything, it is that the game we love - while old in its origins, is far from stable. At any point, my government could choose to tax my income, and while it is unlikely that they would follow their American friends and attempt to ban the game, other like minded governments may follow Uncle Sam’s lead, and attempt to drive our beloved game underground. Even if politicians were to keep their noses out, it may be the case that in two years time, NLHE is no longer a beatable game. Somehow, all the losing players may have realised that Online Poker while being cruel is not rigged and they are in fact just automated teller machines there for the sole purpose to pad the winning players’ wallets. Or maybe a new fad will come along, one where people can slake their gambling thirst in a more fulfilling manner – perhaps they will be able to interact in a greater way than sitting behind a computer screen for hours while still satisfying their brain’s search for that dopamine hit.

While the above suggestions are perhaps a little farfetched, they are far from being impossible. My point is vaguely related to these examples – we don’t know what the future holds. In two years time for one reason or another, I may not be able to make enough money at this game any longer. If that day ever comes, I want to look back at my time as a poker pro safe in the knowledge that while still having a life, I extracted as much money out of this game as possible, and have some money to build a future.

This understanding motivated me to continue to be a student of the game, and to put in more regular hours.

By Summer 2007 – I had taken my game to a new level, and was grinding a good profit from the game.

What is in store for me this Winter? I aim to continue to put in the hours whilst not forgetting that I have yet to make it. I still have a long way to go, sure I’m a good player, sure I make a decent living out of it, but that is not enough. I want to be great, do I need to be the best? No, but it wouldn’t hurt.

No comments: